I think the more jarring effect that this creates is how the map
changes as soon as a player connects and joins a team. They spend all
that time connecting to the server, loading the map, and joining a
class or a team or what have you, and then they have to do it all over
again.

At least that's the behavior I remember seeing in CS:S.

Perhaps resetting the time that the map was changed when a client
connects to an empty server would be better. Or whatever you'd need to
do in order to make the amount of time left equal to mp_timelimit when
the server goes from zero clients to one client.