As I wrote about earlier on this list, I also was negatively impacted
by this change. My workaround was to use the sockets extension for
SourceMod to run a small listen server that allows me to fetch
particular cvar values (or any custom information, really). This
allows me to leave my custom cvars without the FCVAR_NOTIFY flag.

It's a lot of work compared to setting a flag, but it's one idea if
you can try if you really need an immediate solution.

Ryan