>One thing, with the cool telnet console thing (which is cool, and will
>simplify some server stats generation stuff I do), the parent process listens
>on telnet too.  This confused the hell out of us at first, as that's the one
>we tried to connect to, and it never says anything.  I don't know if you're
>planning on doing something with that later on, but if so, it might
be nice to output stuff to the telnet console warning noobs like me ;)

The idea is for the parent process to be able to be talked to in order to do
things like query the status of all the children, gracefully shutdown, etc.
There is no functionality to do this at the moment, and I can't say when or if
we might release that, but that's why a port is reserved for the parent process.

>The other thing, which probably only matters at the moment when people are
taking servers up and down quite often, is that it's difficult to take down
a group of forked servers gracefully, as people keep joining; you end up
having to kick a lot of people and I'm sure they get annoyed.  What I did
eventually was manually remove the master server entries from each server
individually to stop them showing up on the list, then firewalled new
connections to the servers.  A way of telling forked servers to stop when
they get to hibernation would be nice (maybe that's a use for that extra
telnet console)

This doesn't currently interact well with -fork, but there is a new command
"sv_shutdown", which will cause the server to exit when
it enters hibernation state, in order to allow a graceful restart.