64bit binaries have been distributed since before VAC2.  This means they
are still using the old protocol (47), and if any servers still happen
to use amd64 nobody will be able to connect to them.

Instead of actually building it for 64bit, their fix was to edit
hlds_run to use hlds_amd instead of hlds_amd64.