At 09:46 PM 1/24/2009, Chris Green wrote:

> >The first thing I can think of that you could do is rewrite the time
>function to cache time and only update it every so often.. I have a
>proof of concept here. It reduces
>syscall time by 40% for HZ=1000 for gettimeofday/clock_gettime.
>

>The left4dead server replaces the gettimeofday calls with use of the
>hardware cycle counter (on systems which support it stably) reducing
>the amount of time spent making syscalls for time to approximately
>zero. Also, thread locals went from pthread functions to compiler
>thread local support, lock-free thread operations went to gcc
>intrinsics, etc. So the linux DS bins spend a lot less time in the
>kernel and c library functions than previous linux server releases.
>
>We're using gcc 4.3.0 for l4d.

Why don't you just open /dev/hpet and translate it into a tick
counter? TSC's don't sync up correctly on AMD systems :(

Anyways, I was talking about 1.6/Source.. not L4D. A majority of
server providers (like me) wish VALVe would re-release the 64bit
binaries. But they said "when its ready", but it seems that is going to take