At 03:32 PM 1/24/2009, Chris Green wrote:
>Those amd-optimized binaries weren't 64-bit binaries AFAIK (this is
>from before I started working on the linux ds), but rather were just
>binaries produced with gcc tuning settings set to favor the amd64
>chips. With the orange box (and subsequently with l4d), we changed a
>lot of our compiler settings and versions and a lot of things about
>the way we optimize code had changed, and it was felt that after
>these changes, there weren't significant improvements from having
>separate binaries for intel and amd.

Honestly, from an OS point of view 64bit binaries give you a couple
of registers to use on the stack.. i know you use -fPIC for your
shared libaries, so you lose a register to use on the stack.. older
gcc's suffered,
while newer ones are better at optimizing. What GCC are you using for source?

>In our more recent dedicated server work, we've concentrated on
>optimizations that enhance performance of all platforms, and you can
>see it in the
>left4dead linux ds. This release had a lot of the linux-specific
>code rewritten, switch compiler versions, turned on higher optimization levels,
>and had a lot of linux-specific server features added, and is
>definitely the highest performing linux ds we've released for any of our games.

The first thing I can think of that you could do is rewrite the time
function to cache time and only update it every so often.. I have a
proof of concept here. It reduces
syscall time by 40% for HZ=1000 for gettimeofday/clock_gettime.

I'm currently using timer_create() instead of usleep() for an experiment.