I think something is up with the sv_steamgroup_exclusive cvar.  I have it
set in my server.cfg, and when I launch the server, it fills immediately
with players.  Only after I kick everyone off the server does it stay empty
until someone in our group does a mm force to it. I have not tried an mm
force as a non-group member though.