Chris,

In many circles, mentioning NAT in the same sentence as IPv6 is tantamount to heresy. Yes, NAT64 and NAT46 are possible, I can't see why you'd consider something like that in relation to a game server. NAT66 is not permitted by the standards and I hope nobody ever implements it.

The whole point of IPv6 is to have more than enough addresses to give each device, or server in your case, its own IP address. You could even give each instance of your game servers its own IPv6 and run them all on the standard port. Generally the guidelines for allocation suggest a /48 per end-user, to be subdivided into up to 65536 subnets of 2^64 addresses. With so many addresses available virtual hosting becomes unnecessary and each site can have its own IP. This is not a waste and is by design.

I assume you suggested NAT64 as a means to IPv6-enable a service that doesn't natively support IPv6. While this is possible, to me it doesn't make sense on a game server as the client doesn't do IPv6 either, so you'd need a NAT46 on the client side as well. What's the point if they can talk IPv4 with each other?

Chris