>We'll see wide area nat before we see native IPv6 in the majority of our
homes.

>IPv4 isn't going away just yet.

Sorry, but IMHO, this will a major part of the problem. I have v6 already at
my residence (native v6, no tunneling).  I realize v4 will stay dual-stacked
for maybe 4 or 5 years, but any more than that, it's simply because a few
major players are dragging their feet. The folks that think v4 NAT on top of
more v4 NAT (LSN, CGN, whatever you want to call it) will eventually make
all this v6 stuff go away, you're completely mistaken. All that will do is
complicate networks to the point it costs more to run v4 than to just deploy
v6 and get it over with. Believe me, the bean counters will see the
difference. There's already large scale v6 roll outs happening in many large
ISP's that I know of personally here in the US. There's already Comcast home
v6 trials happening now. Again, i'm not saying v4 will go away anytime soon,
but for the folks that take the ostrich affect (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostrich_effect) , it's going to end up costing
you more to deploy v6 in a rush then to do it leisurely starting nowish.

They can run side by side without any issues, so I don't see what all the
uproar is about. Yes it's eventually it's going to be a switch from v4 to
v6, but it's not like we can't have them both at the same time for as long
as one needs. I'm willing to bet as soon as sites like Facebook, Twitter,
Google, Akamai, Limelight, etc .... once those guys go v6, the rest of the
network world will follow suit. And that's not to mention Tier 1's which
most have already deployed it in alot of markets (if you have a business
account and peer with someone big, ask/push them for v6). Here's a list of
big providers already offering v6. (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_IPv6_support_by_major_transit_providers
)  Right now, RIR's aren't charging anything additional to obtain a block if
you already have an ARIN allocation anyways. I'm sure other RIR's have
similar policies.

Once RIR's run out, (which i'll be surprised if any v4 blocks are left by
next spring/summer), then the ship goes one way or another. You either start
to adopt v6 (which will already be too late for alot that have big
environments), or just keep paying for the rising costs to maintain v4 (more
NAT and more NAT). The latter will option will have you ship visiting Davy
Jones.

my overpriced $0.02

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Steven Crothers <steven.croth...@gmail.com