On 05/04/2011 11:00, Milton Ngan wrote:
Just to let everyone know. I am currently working on deploying IPv6 network
infrastructure for Valve's network. This is not a promise that support is
coming, but rather to point out that without this infrastructure it is very
difficult to implement IPv6 support.

Until last year, none of our network equipment would support IPv6. Our network
providers also don't have pervasive IPv6 support, at least not on par with
IPv4. So there are some technical challenges that we face with regards to
network resiliency, which makes it risky for us to use in a production
environment.

Like many of you on this list, I am passionate about adopting IPv6, but it
isn't something that is going to happen overnight. My goal is to support IPv6
with the common applications (e.g mail, web, DNS) within the next 12 months.
However, with some of our appliances, it is clear that IPv6 support is still a
long way off which will make this goal a challenging target.

In the meantime, a number of us, myself included, have already set some manner of solution up to deal with IPv6 in the interim. In my case, I'm using pfSense 2.0 with IPv6 support and a Hurricane Electric 6in4 tunnel with a /64 block set up (http://www.tunnelbroker.net) and thus far, it seems to be working quite well. I have a couple of servers set up as well as an intranet secured behind my firewall. The public and private segments are on /112s (65536 IPs) with a firewall in place to keep people from prying the interior network from the outside while the public side has unfettered access from the outside.

Good thing about the tunneling option is that you just need a normal (IPv4) Internet connection. However, it's something of a "bandaid" until all ISPs support actual IPv6 on the wire/glass. In my case, I'm using pfSense, which is a firewall distro based on FreeBSD, running as a virtual machine on a VMware vSphere server.

I also have a colocated machine with an actual live IPv6 address on it, so there's no tunneling going on.

While there is indeed a lot to learn about IPv6, the very core concepts are much, if not entirely exactly, the same as v4. The only difference in the basics is just the scale is much greater. There are many other features but I won't go into detail right now; I need to learn about them myself. ;)

--Ian.

--
Ian R. Justman
ianj (at) ian-justman.com