From: hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com
[mailto:hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of Ruben Lopes
Sent: Saturday, April 06, 2013 5:27 PM
To: hlds_linux@list.valvesoftware.com
Subject: [hlds_linux] More reliable support for server IP changes

I would like to leave my opinion here for Valve to consider.Probably all of
us server admins know the frustration with having to change our servers IP's
either because of a migration, changing from a unreliable hosting,
datacenter change, etc...We also know that even though we can connect and
add a hostname to favorites ir doesn't update if the IP changes (at least
the last time I checked) and it should, for the obvious reasons mentioned
above. So that change I think it's been overdue and I can see no good reason
for it not being like that since day one. That way, players who connect
through the hostname wouldn't even notice that the IP changed. But even with
that, the people who added "Current server to favorites" only added the
current IP of the server.
So, even better than that would be to have a aditional server id system that
could be used to keep track of servers, so that a specific serverID would
always point to the server IP:Port of the server that has that specific
tf_server_identity_account_id in the config. Then, players could connect to
that serverID that would also be automatically be updated in the favorites
if the IP:Port changed. With that, when a server has to change IP, no player
would lose track of that great server that mysteriously disapeared from
their favorites and server administrators wouldn't have to flood every of
their players that they can reach telling that the IP of their server(s)
changed while seeing that effort in vain while losing part of the players
that never came back.I've been through that, and other probably have too. So
this would be a favorable update for everyone. Hope I can see something done
about this soon.