For those of you who don't pay attention to his posts for the past couple
of years, the line of thinking from dan needaxeo goes something like this:

"Once I put up a plain server and no one joined it because everyone else
cheats and they couldn't possibly have a better server. So any improvements
especially those helping non-Valve servers should be ignored because it
helps cheaters trick players. Also every player thinks the same way I do so
no one ever has a reason to join any server over a Valve server."

I don't know how many times I have to repeat this but you can make all the
"logical" assumptions you want and assume that most players are smart and
aren't lazy (lol?). It just doesn't line up with reality which is why
people keep requesting DNS.

If there was nothing special about any particular server in the first place
then there wouldn't be a large population drop every time the IP changed.