If you can make out my notes to self, see if this may help.

Compile and load your map.

mat_specular 0

This turns off reflections.

buildcubemaps

The game will pause for a second, and lots of little pictures will flash up
the top of the screen.

disconnect

If you are not using HDR, you can step to step 11

mat_hdr_level 0

Turn off HDR.

map “your_map_name”

Load the map again

buildcubemaps

disconnect

mat_specular 1

mat_hdr_level 2

map “cp_dustbowl”

We need to load another map, to clear the caches of your map contents,
otherwise it will not reload any of the cubemaps.
Disconnect again, and load up your map. Enjoy!