On 8 Nov 2012, at 14:28, Ted Lemon <mel...@fugue.com> wrote:

> Sure, but "log a system management error" is not something that a home router
> vendor can meaningfully implement, unless it puts a speaker in the home
> router and has it start bellowing "out of addresses" in every known language.
>
> But the real problem is that this signal, even if received, will be
> misinterpreted as "router is broken, return to Home Despot and replace with
> one that isn't broken."

<no hat>

I note that the Apple Airport Utility pops up warnings about various errors,
some of which relate to sub-optimal network configuration, rather than
misconfiguration.  In particular, they warn you if you try to use double NAT.

Users can acknowledge those warnings, so they no longer appear.

I can envisage a box issuing a similar warning if it only gets a /64 from its
upstream.

It would be nice if there was a generic method for doing this that was vendor
independent, but I guess that's unlikely to happen.

Ray