Hi,

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 08:43:26AM +0100, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> We're talking about a protocol decision here. People seem to focus a lot
> on the "running code" part here. ISIS is used for numerous things of apart
> frmo the MPLS and Traffic engineering space, we also have IEEE 802.1aq
> (SPB) and TRILL, it's also used in the GMPLS control plane. There are
> probably 10-20+ commercial implementations of ISIS, if not perhaps the
> exact TLVs we're talking about here. Most of not all of these standards
> are described in standards track RFCs.
>
> Against this, we have Babel, which as far as I can tell has a single
> implementation that has been forked into two, and is based on a few
> experimental RFCs.

Just to voice something from the opposite side of the spectrum - I'm a
fan of "do one thing and do it well" approaches, and not so much of a
"oh, we have a kitchen sink here, let's see if we can turn it into a
living room table".

So for me, the fact that ISIS is used for umpteen other things outside
the homenet environment isn't exactly a plus side.  Yes, it is understood
that basic ISIS works (exchanging TLVs, establishing topology) - but if
you look at it from an implementors point of view that does not have
many years of ISIS background, just figuring out which parts of the
heap of potential ISIS use cases they need to implement sounds much more
time-consuming than just taking the Babels implementation and compiling it
for the platform of choice...

We're not talking about a routing protocol for every possible use case
here - we're talking about a fairly well defined environment (aka "fairly
small number of devices, IPv4 and IPv6 only, and implementations constrained
by lack of clue on the manufacturer side").

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444           USt-IdNr.: DE813185279