--
Hi Olav & Colleagues,

If you find something that works let me know...I'm getting to the point
when I have to sit in front of Trumpets in a band setting, I am wearing
earplugs to protect my hearing. If I don't, my ears ring horribly by the
end of the rehearsal and during the next day. I went to the doctor, fearing
that I was going deaf, had a couple of different hearing tests and was told
to return in six months, but to also use some sort of hearing protection. I
bought some earplugs that are supposed to kick in when the sound gets to a
certain level. I am not assured that the plugs are really that good. I
wonder if any of others on the list have had experience with making
inexpensive deflectors out of plexiglass? I have seen some at the Detroit
Symphony, and at other venues, (namely a church that I play at) but I was
informed that those professional deflectors can be quite expensive. Any
thoughts?

Have a great day,

Walt Lewis

At 10:37 AM 12/6/02 -0800, you wrote:

>Is there such a thing as a portable personal sound shield?  I'm thinking
>about some kind of plexiglass shield that could be erected right behind
>one's chair but small enough and maybe even collapsible so that it could be
>carried in a case.
>
>Any guidance appreciated.
>
>Olav in Montreal

>---