I have found that the ER-20 from http://www.etymotic.com are much more
satisfactory than the foam or wax type. Their flatter frequency response makes
for better music and speech hearing. Since they insert deeply in the ear, there
is less drumming from one's own speech and playing. In noisy environments they
help speech comprehension for me. Definite ear savers in an enclosed pit where
I had a trumpet playing at my ear. They had lowered the pit, extended the stage
over it, and enclosed the sides.

When I was using foam plugs, I had a wax blockage resulting in total loss of
hearing in one ear. It was scary until I found out it was just wax.

Herb Foster