Chris exclaimed, "... 5 hours is too much.  4 is probably the maximum a horn
player should do, and even then it likely is too much."

   But there are always exceptions. I'm told that when he was preparing for
his first audition (with New Orleans Symphony, I believe), Louis Stout
practiced 8 hours/day for 3 months to get ready (he won the audition).
Sometimes events bunch up and I find that I have to practice extra hours
just to prepare everything in time. Normally, I try to split my playing time
into three sessions throughout the day, but interferences sometimes make
that schedule not possible; at other times I find it necessary to practice
as much as 6 hours in a stretch just to prepare myself for my commitments,
but never on the same day as a concert.

Loren Mayhew
\@()
[EMAIL PROTECTED]