Loren, YOU PRACTICE UP TO SIX HOURS  ??? OR YOU JUST FIND IT NECESSARY
??? Your age is ????? I don't reveal it.

About practice time: if people need that much time to prepare for a
certain task, then something is wrong indeed. What is wrong ? THEY ARE
NOT READY FOR THE TASK.

What does that mean ? EVERYTHING MUST BE ACQUIRED STEP BY STEP, not in a
tour the force. THAT IS WRONG WITH SO MANY PLAYERS.

If you prepare everything regarding horn playing skill step by step
BEFORE you look for certain tasks, everything is in order. FIRST the
study, THEN looking for a task, not getting a chance to play a certain
challenging piece AND go to practice THEN. THIS IS WRONG.

Be PREPARED first.

And still, with all this technical (mechanical) preparation, most
players get no idea how to play things musical. Their horizon is limited
to two dimensions of playing only: loud & soft, fast & slow.

But where is the MUSIC ????? Emphasis (not this mania of stretching &
accelerating), colours (not just dark & bright, black & white),
expression (happiness, tenderness, heroic, lovely, light, destructing,
sorrow, etc.) ??

This does not need much practice, BUT LISTENING TO THE OTHER PLAYERS &
ACTORS or just LISTENING TO THE MUSIC in general, an ability absolutely
UNDERDEVELOPED with many players, professionals as well as amateurs.

<at other times I find it necessary to practice
as much as 6 hours in a stretch just to prepare myself for my
commitments,
but never on the same day as a concert.

Loren Mayhew
\@()