From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf
Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2003 11:12 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Hornlist] Holton quality, especially H200

I went shopping for an H200 a few years ago.  I discovered they are quite
rare and had to do a lot of calling to find one stocked.  When I called
Osmun,
his opinion was that it's an OK horn, if all you want to spend is $2500, and
he
could probably track one down.

What he did have for sale was a Paxman model 42, same as the 40, but with a
sixth valve F attachment, that he let me have for only a few hundred dollars
more, and with plenty of time to try it out.  Needless to say, I still
haven't
tried an H200, and I'll be eternally grateful to Bob for the Paxman.  I use
it
as a full range horn because of its agility and enormous range.  I have a
really good "big" horn that I use when I need it.  Most of my serious
playing is
done in a studio setting with multi mics.  The combination of medium bell
with
a large mouthpiece really rips when I'm playing sprint parts in a horn line.

Good luck, and put a lot of effort into your search.  I probably do 75% of
my
playing on the descant, and with the F attachment, it really compares very
closely with a triple, but lighter.
set your options at
http://music.memphis.edu/mailman/options/horn/fbaucom%40sbcglobal.net