Hmm that's funny because I've owned 2 Custom Yamaha horns and they both in fact
played better than any of their student horns. If someone is accustomed to
playing machine-made horns, a hand made horn is likely to feel different, which
without ample time to adjust, inferior.  I know it took me a bit to adjust my
668V from the beat up Holton Farkas i had to play on before, but soon I
realized that the Yamaha was an unquestionably superior horn.

Chris