In a message dated 10/3/2003 1:11:59 PM Pacific Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> So, when are those times for "all your big horn needs"? Nobody in
> this town seems to have problems with their "small, agile, medium
> throat horn(s)."

I'm not sure I understand the question, probably because of antiquated
recollections of horn playing in Boston.  I did my serious playing in the sixties
and seventies, but I did it in Boston.  I don't recall anyone serious about horn
playing an 8D. Mostly everything was Alexander and Kruspe.  We had eight
horns in the Greater Boston Youth Symphony, my senior year, 1964, and all were
Alexander or Kruspe, except my Reynolds, and Brian Morrel's Holton.  The horns I
remember were all European.  That was the norm in the semi pro groups I played
in, to help pay tuition through college.  I must have been pretty self
conscious about this 'ban' on 8Ds, since my Reynolds was supposed to be even bigger,
and badder than an 8D.  I vividly remember being surprised, on joining the
Newton Symphony, finding the principal player, Cabbage, playing a Holton.  I'd
taken several years off horn playing, to play bass in a rock band, and I saw
this as major change during my absence.  In 1978 I moved to the West coast.

Interestingly, when I found myself playing in the Peninsula Symphony, there
was Cabbage, again the principal horn.  Is that what you do to players who use
American horns in Boston?