In a message dated 10/3/2003 6:46:25 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I agree with most of what you have posted. However, you need to check
> throat
> and bell diameter on Contempora horns made in Abilene, I think that you will
> find some differences. I agree with you  that bell weight changed when they
> moved from Cleveland.
>
> I don't know what part of the country you live in, but in the Northeast a
> Chambers Model will command more than the price you quoted. By that I mean a
> Cleveland horn marked Chambers.  I have seen one of the first Contempora
> horns made around 1964 sans the Chambers marque, and agree that there is
> virtually no difference.  I really think it might be a bit of a stretch to
> characterize the Abilene Contemporas as being the same horn.

You are absolutely right.  The throat on the Abilene horn is slightly
smaller.  Do you know if they made any change to the leadpipe?  I checked with dent
balls, and they seem the same, as close as that method works.  The Abilene horn
really opened up when I cleaned out the solder restricting the bore.  The
price I was suggesting was for the Abilene model.  I haven't seen a Cleveland
horn for sale since about 1975.  Still, the Abilene Reynolds is a very defendable
substitute for the Elkhart 8D.  I suspect that in a few years the price gap
will close, making the Abilene Reynolds a good investment horn.  But if you can
find a Cleveland horn, don't pass it up.

I've come across Texas 8Ds that were both very good and very bad.  Certainly
the design of the horn is good, so I would suspect the playing problems come
more from assembly, and could probably be corrected with the right attention.
The untapered valves, however, are a much bigger problem.  Apparently they
swing in the casing as they wear, and become elliptical.  Nasty to rebuild, and
probably won't last very long.  I wonder what Conn would charge for a new valve
cluster?