Bill,

I agree with most of what you have posted. However, you need to check throat
and bell diameter on Contempora horns made in Abilene, I think that you will
find some differences. I agree with you  that bell weight changed when they
moved from Cleveland.

I don't know what part of the country you live in, but in the Northeast a
Chambers Model will command more than the price you quoted. By that I mean a
Cleveland horn marked Chambers.  I have seen one of the first Contempora
horns made around 1964 sans the Chambers marque, and agree that there is
virtually no difference.  I really think it might be a bit of a stretch to
characterize the Abilene Contemporas as being the same horn.  This is not to
say that they were bad horns at all, but certainly not as good as the
Cleveland made horns. The quandary that I have always had with the move to
Abilene is this:  MacMillan\Conn purchased the Abilene facility in the late
60's. There were established horn makers in Abilene at that time who worked
for Reynolds.  The reason that a lot of skilled workers stayed in Elkhart is
most often given for the decline of the 8D has never been totally adequate
in my estimation.  I am always amazed that Reynolds managed to keep good
quality control despite fluctuating management and ownership while Conn
could not.

Actually the Contemporas produced at Fullerton, CA are not bad horns either.
Paul Mansur tells me that Olds (who eventually bought Reynolds and made
Contempora horns) made a very good Geyer style horn in the 50's (not to be
confused with their later Geyer model) and I always held their single F
Ambassador line in high regard.  I sold a lot of Olds trumpets in the late
70's and early 80's that were put on the market after Olds folded circa
1978. They were very decent instruments.

One could wish for a lot of things, I suppose, but I wish the management of
both of these venerable firms would have had the smarts and savvy to stay in
business.  There is no doubt in my mind that at one point, at least,
Reynolds had the superior product with regard to a large throat, large bell
horn.

Caveat lector,

Mark L.