There's a famous story which was doing the rounds when I was a student (I'm
sure Paul can fill out the details and correct the exaggerations) regarding a
very famous trumpet player who was brought in to play "The Trumpet Shall
Sound"  in an amateur performance of "The Messiah".

At the end of the Saturday afternoon rehearsal (the only rehearsal he
attended), he turned to the percussionist and asked him why he hadn't played the
sleigh bells in the Hallelujah Chorus.  The drummer replied that there were  no
sleigh bells in the part.  The trumpeter assured him that although it  was not
in the part, it was traditional for them to be played after  each
"Hallelujah".

Respecting the trumpet player's credentials, the poor guy turned up to the
concert with his bells and, on the performance,  did as he had been
instructed.  On seeing the almost uncontrollable fury of the conductor, he  asked the
trumpeter why the maestro looked so angry with him - "Because it's not  loud
enough", he said.   Thus encouraged, he waved and shook for all  he was worth
until thankfully, Handel's brevity brought the comedy to a  close.

All the best,

Lawrence (Who is off to France tomorrow - if anyone should be in the Cognac
region over summer, call in at the municipal campsite and we'll have a pint or
 two!)

"žaes  ofereode - žisses swa  maeg"

http://lawrenceyates.co.uk