In a message dated 7/13/2004 4:48:01 PM Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

There  are no horn parts in the original Messiah, but there ARE horn parts in
the  Mozart edition. I have played it many times.

Cheers,

Graeme  Evans
(Principal Horn, Melbourne Symphony Orchestra)
+61 3 9318 0690(H),  +61 419 880371(B), +61 3 93180893(Fax)
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])

Hi Graeme,

Although no horn parts exist in the Foundling Hospital edition,
there is evidence that during Handel's lifetime there was a
performance that MAY have included horn players because
in the F.H. account books, there is a list of payments to
players that includes two horn players.  If used, my guess is
that they would have taken over or doubled the trumpet parts
in the D mvmts (an octave lower, of course).

Regards,     Jerry in Kansas  City