Message text written by The Horn List
>(I'm
sure Paul can fill out the details and correct the exaggerations) regarding
very famous trumpet player who was brought in to play "The Trumpet Shall
Sound"  in an amateur performance of "The Messiah".<

Dear All

I am sorry that I jumped the gun and duplicated other people's replies to
this thread.

However, this story as related seems to me to be correct in every detail
except one.  It was often told by a very famous horn player and teacher
(now deceased) who was there at the time (playing 2nd horn - presumably the
good Dr Prout's version) and the culprit was his own teacher who was on 1st
horn.

There are many stories about this gentleman (Otto Paersch) who seems to
have been just about the biggest practical joker in the business.  One oft
quoted comment about him is so unkind to another well known horn player now
amongst the choir invisible that it must go untold on this list.  But,
there is the advice to a young horn player to wear plus fours for his first
gig.  And what about this one - told to me by Bob Aspden (now etc. etc) who
was a student of Paersch's at the Royal Manchester College of Music in the
1930s.
Bob used to have his horn lessons at the ungodly hour of 8.30 in the
morning (just try to get a student to agree to this now!) in a practice
room exactly one floor up from the office of the Principal of the RMCM at
that time - R.J.Forbes - who was known to detest loud brass playing.  Bob
was half way through a study with Paersch saying over and over again -
"louder, louder".  Paersch finally took Bob's horn from him and proceeded
to blast his way through the study in question.  As he got to the end,
angry footsteps were heard coming up the stairs.  Paersch pushed the horn
back into Bob's hands just as Forbes entered the room saying "please
instruct that student not to play so loudly Mr Paersch!"  Paersch turned to
Bob with a look of absolute deadly seriousness on his face and said - "Yes
Robert, how many times do I have to tell you, don't play so loud all the
time!"
These tales are a bit difficult to believe but we must remember that young
people were much less knowing then and far less able or inclined to
question authority.

Cheers

Paul A. Kampen (W.Yorks - UK)