Way back when I took my first lessons, and dinosaurs roamed the earth, I was
taught that 3rd space C was the proper switch point. Lately I've been taught
that 2nd line G is the proper one, on the theory that you're staying on the
same harmonic up to C. This is the default fingering before you have a chance
to think about it. Hans said it right: do what's musical and what makes
fingering sense. Sometimes 3rd space C# is better F2. Sometimes a fast arpeggio
starting at the bottom of the staff is cleaner on the Bb side.

Herb Fostr