I know we all have these problems with music, but I'll just take a moment to
vent mine, as it's been driving my section crazy for the last year!
  I play in a small community band. While we own all the music in our library,
it invariably gets passed from person to person through the years as players
come and go. Some horn player several years back not only felt an important
need to circle all key and time changes, many dynamic markings, accidentals,
and occasionally little reminder messages to him/herself, but he or she did it
all in red ink pen. Red!  All over our horn music - and of course they must
have rotated parts through the section all these years ago, b/c there is red
ink on all parts, and for many, many pieces of music in our library.
C'mon, people, we're horn players - we like to think we're among the brighter
folks in the orchestra! Buy a pencil, write small, erase when you're done, and
if you need to transpose, maybe think about writing it out on a little separate
sheet of blank composition paper and keeping it with your music till you learn!
  Okay, I'm all done venting now. Thanks for putting up with it!

  Erin Block
  St. Louis, MO

Dan Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Dec 3, 2005, at 12:44 PM, Jim McDermott wrote:

> Obviously the music is rented. But as an amateur, if marking a
> note or a fingering helps me play the passage properly, I'll
> continue to do so. My rule is, 1 mistake is OK, but if I miss a
> note twice, I mark it. And no, I did not learn my transpositions,
> because all band music in America is transposed to F by the
> publishers.

I have no problem at all with marking up music in whatever way allows
the performer to get it right, as long as those markings are done
lightly in pencil, and then ***erased completely*** before the music
is returned. Way too often, I have to read music that has been
permanently disfigured and made much more difficult to read by
previous users. It's a matter of common courtesy (as well as a
contractual obligation in most cases) to clean up rental music before
it is returned.

Dan