Ken,

I currently have raspberryvi.org in a git repository on a local machine.

There is one thing you need to know when setting up a Nikola site to
stop the blog from being the front page.  I can share that with you if
you go for Nikola.

Jekyll is used by github.io pages, but don't think it has a stand-alone
mechanism for syncing to the remote server, if it is a server other than
<username>.github.io.

Nikola is very good at that part, you can define multiple places to
'deploy' the site, like this:

$ nikola deploy live
%$ nikola deploy local

I have raspberryvi.org set up so that I can sync it to an Apache server
I have running here, or 'live' to poke it to the host server.

eyesfreelinux.ninja is the same, and is on one of Josh's machines.

The only thing I have found annoying about Nikola is that version
changes tend to make the config.py br4eak and it can be necessary to
rehash it.

But I have now 'frozen' on an older version.

There are also Docker images containing Nikola as well and I have
considered switching to one of those, as I am now running almost
everything in containers.

Mike

On 04/04/2019 18:21, Ken Fallon wrote:
> Top posting for Mike.
>
> Thanks for all the feedback.
>
> Actually this is for HPR. I want to have the website statically
> available as much as possible, so you can rsync or git clone the repos
> and run your own site.
>
> If we consider each show to be it's own entity that is self contained
> but fits in nicely with the rest of the site.
>
> Each show would be posted into it's own subdirectory which has a
> index.html file and other media related to the show.
>
> Dave has been doing this for some time, see:
> http://hackerpublicradio.org/eps/hpr2729/full_shownotes.html
>
> web-root/index.html
>
> web-root/episodes/hpr0001/index.html
> web-root/episodes/hpr0001/image_for_show.jpg
> web-root/episodes/hpr0001/example_script_1.bash
> web-root/episodes/hpr0001/video.mp4
>
> web-root/episodes/hpr0002/index.html
>
> Ideally I'd love be able to put the entire site on a usb stick and
> browsing to it locally.
>
> file://opt/Hacker_Public_Radio/web-root/index.html
>
> So the source would be (for now) the HPR DB, but it could be a git repo,
> were shows are pushed ?!?
>
> Anyway if you want to help out or follow along go to
> https://gitlab.anhonesthost.com/ and set up an account.
>
> Ken
>

> On 2019-04-04 19:05, jezra wrote:
>> Ken, do you have a preferred input type for the source files?
>>
>> When it came time for me to pick a static site generator, I specifically
>> looked for something that was based on HAML, Markdown, and SASS; because
>> I absolutely did not want to write a bunch of raw HTML.
>>

>> jezra
>> P.S. eventually I took the Fool's Route and rolled my own :)
>>

>> On 4/3/19 11:36 AM, Ken Fallon wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Do any of you have a recommendation for a Static Site Generators that
>>> just publishes html files.
>>>
>>> For example takes a page, adds a header and footer from somewhere and
>>> publishes the combined page.

Michael A. Ray
Analyst/Programmer
Witley, Surrey, South-east UK

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when
there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

https://cromarty.github.io/
http://eyesfreelinux.ninja/
http://www.raspberryvi.org/