On 2019-04-03 20:36, Ken Fallon wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Do any of you have a recommendation for a Static Site Generators that
> just publishes html files.
>
> For example takes a page, adds a header and footer from somewhere and
> publishes the combined page.

Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestions, which I am working through.

The question was in relation to the Hacker Public Radio site, which is
essentially a LAMP based site that is entirely database driven.

For the vast majority of the site this is unnecessary as the pages are
very static and change infrequently if ever. Those could be written to a
static html file without a problem.

The general goal is that everything could be rsynced from a server to
your local machine and you would get access to a daily snapshot of the
entire website. This would allow us to have multiple mirrors of hpr
around the place in the event of another DDOS.

So the php page
http://hackerpublicradio.org/eps.php?id=0013

would be written out to a directory accessible via a index.html page  under
http://localhost/episodes/hpr13/

This fixes the problem of the episode 9999 bug, and removes the need for
a database query for the page.

Unfortunately if ever the header and footer change we need to change
each and every exported page. HTML5 had a way to include pages together
fixing the problem but for some reason support for that has been  dropped.

So that is why I was thinking of a flat file CMS. The down side of that
is that if there is a change of header, then every single "rendered"
html page would need to be downloaded again because the change is
incorporated in every single page.

However after thinking about it for a while, the people who are helping
out by doing this must have the technical expertise to rsync the site
locally. So it's safe to assume that they also can follow an instruction
page on how to set up a local lamp server.

Then we could actually distribute a more or less static html website,
but use php to include the header and footer. That would not exclude the
need for a flat file cms, but the integration would be more focused on
the dynamic content.

So I intend to setup a git repo with a index.html page that uses php to
include a header and footer. Trying to make the local site at least
usable if php or a webserver is not available.

I'm not sure if this is even something that would be of interest to
people, but if it is, then I will put up links when I have something  ready.

--
Regards,

Ken Fallon
http://kenfallon.com