Nikola will build the index locally, and because it uses rsync to
upload, only new stuff ever gets uploaded.  Not stuff that has not changed.

On 15/04/2019 19:59, SoundChaser wrote:
> In a bit of irony, I've just spent the last weekend digging around and
> researching CMS'es... I started with database drive systems, and then, thanks
> to LostInBronx and Klaatu (for running their gaming site on Grav) looking at
> flat file CMS's.
>
> The main issue with going the flat file approach is building index pages.
> Every time a new post (show) is added, all of the index pages would
> potentially need to be re-built.
>
> Personally, I am trying to decide what the best approach is for my situation
> where I have ~500 articles that will be growing after I move to a new
> system... A purely flat-file CMS might not be the best approach...potentially
> something that is more of a hybrid system like Bolt CMS might be better --
> and it might fit HPR's needs too (it does use a database, but it only need
> SQLite, and not Maria or Postgres).
>
> I'd be interested in hearing any input others have on this topic.
>
> George
>
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2019, at 1:43 PM, Ken Fallon wrote:
>>
>> On 2019-04-03 20:36, Ken Fallon wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Do any of you have a recommendation for a Static Site Generators that
>>> just publishes html files.
>>>
>>> For example takes a page, adds a header and footer from somewhere and
>>> publishes the combined page.
>>>

>> Hi All,
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestions, which I am working through.
>>
>> The question was in relation to the Hacker Public Radio site, which is
>> essentially a LAMP based site that is entirely database driven.
>>
>> For the vast majority of the site this is unnecessary as the pages are
>> very static and change infrequently if ever. Those could be written to a
>> static html file without a problem.
>>
>> The general goal is that everything could be rsynced from a server to
>> your local machine and you would get access to a daily snapshot of the
>> entire website. This would allow us to have multiple mirrors of hpr
>> around the place in the event of another DDOS.
>>
>> So the php page
>> http://hackerpublicradio.org/eps.php?id=0013
>>
>> would be written out to a directory accessible via a index.html page under
>> http://localhost/episodes/hpr13/
>>
>> This fixes the problem of the episode 9999 bug, and removes the need for
>> a database query for the page.
>>
>> Unfortunately if ever the header and footer change we need to change
>> each and every exported page. HTML5 had a way to include pages together
>> fixing the problem but for some reason support for that has been dropped.
>>
>> So that is why I was thinking of a flat file CMS. The down side of that
>> is that if there is a change of header, then every single "rendered"
>> html page would need to be downloaded again because the change is
>> incorporated in every single page.
>>
>> However after thinking about it for a while, the people who are helping
>> out by doing this must have the technical expertise to rsync the site
> [...]

Michael A. Ray
Analyst/Programmer
Witley, Surrey, South-east UK

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when
there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

https://cromarty.github.io/
http://eyesfreelinux.ninja/
http://www.raspberryvi.org/