Hi Peter

On Nov 23, 11:48 pm, Peter Gawthrop <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
>    I agree that "control of perspective" is THE important new
>    dimension in photography and so I hope that pvQt can contribute to
>    that.
>
>    As I said in a previous mail to this group, the mathmap plugin to
>    GIMP is another possibility for playing with perspective. I have a
>    number of functions which transform equirectangulars (from hugin)
>    in various ways -- see
>
>    http://www.lightspacewater.net/Software/
>
>    Maybe these are relevant to pvQt?

Very interesting.  How long does it take mathmap to transform a 20
megapixel image?

What pvQt does is map the input format onto the sphere, and make a
perspective (rectilinear-stereographic family projection) of that.  It
can't transform between arbitrary input formats, so I doubt if it has
an equivalent for erect2gencyindrical.mmc.  But I would guess that
moving the eye point in pvQt generates the same views as your
erect2genstereographic.mmc, from any input image format.

By choosing a "wrong"  input format, you can get some transformations
that might be useful; but none of the classical "PTools" remappings.
Another route to new perspectives is to purposely specify a "wrong"
field of view.  To make it easier to experiment along these lines,
version 0.5 will let you cycle through all the supported non-cubic
projections, and adjust the image FOV (along both axes), without
reloading the image.

As I see it, the purpose of all these perspective manipulations is to
make more convincing pictures.  In  most cases this means pictures
that "look right", though some subjects really come across best in
"weird" perspectives.  But there is only so much you can do with
single point perspective.  The  art of multi-point perspective
drawing, that began in the Renaissance, had by the 18th century
produced some of the most powerfully convincing (though totally false)
views of architecture and landscapes ever seen (e.g. Giovanni Paolo
Panini's views of monumental Roman interiors).  I think it would be
nice if photographers could do that.  The ultimate goal for panoramic
software developers should be to support creating images with multiple
perspectives.

But enough philosophy.

Cheers, Tom