Moving the painting would, unless your lighting is perfectly uniform,
involve moving the painting w.r.t. the lights, which might make a perfect
stitch impossible.

I would (quite strongly) recommend a pano head, home made if need be. Given
the lack of major 3d
features on a painting it needn't be perfect.

A home made one is probably only going to work for a fixed focal length
though, which might be an issue with a zoom lens.

In any case (speaking from experience) mosaic shooting brings is own quite
nasty parallax issues.

I experience much of this when doing my maps-in-an-archive shoot, recently.

I would certainly do test shoots with a cheap poster, or something.

 BugBear

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/CAES-0n-4a6VRsxBXFK9bG-Xd5xBfRLKwvx3%3DX7VGy7YaeRGM1A%40mail.gmail.com.