Markus Kuhn wrote:

> Does anyone know of any other examples or successful major script
> reforms (apart from the semi-successful Soviet attempts to force all
> their republics to switch to cyrillic)?

Vietnamese, but I don't know anything about the process of the change. I found some
information here, but not much detail.

http://www.cjvlang.com/Writing/writsys/writviet.html
http://www.vietcatholic.net/culture/language.htm

There are probably other examples of Romanization as part of European colonialism,
and if we go further back in history there are many parallels. There are many
languages in the Middle East that are written in a form of Arabic script, but I
don't know if any of those languages had a different script (or writing direction)
at any earlier period.

Simon