Ar an 12ú lá de mí 2, scríobh Markus Kuhn :
 > It's certainly difficult, but not impossible. Turkey is the major
 > successful case I know of, where a script reform has succeeded. It was
 > driven by a major political move to make the country overall more
 > secular and compatible with Europe.

It also took place in the context of a very low literacy rate, where
the writing script of the language simply didn't matter to most
people.  Compare 1920s Turkey with the near-universal literacy of most
of the smaller Gulf Arab states, and you'll see more of a problem.

Besides, with one central government, as Turkey had, a single law is
in a position to change the language script. How many Arab states are
there? And, just to put this in some context, how much discussion was
necessary to eliminate ß from German?

 > German's abandoning of fraktur probabaly doesn't count, as that's
 > really just a different font style, not a fundamentally differently
 > structed alphabet or reading direction.
 > Does anyone know of any other examples or successful major script
 > reforms (apart from the semi-successful Soviet attempts to force
 > all their republics to switch to cyrillic)?

I don't know that the writing of Yiddish in Hebraic script is the
example you want to hear here :-) (Given that it was a move away from
Roman script; though I suppose, for a long time, if the language was
written in Roman script it would have called itself German.)

--
`... when the elephant man broke strong men's necks, when he'd had too
many Powers, ...'