>Markus Kuhn wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know of any other examples or successful major script
>>reforms (apart from the semi-successful Soviet attempts to force all
>>their republics to switch to cyrillic)?

Prior to World War II, Japanese horizontal writing went from right to
left. After the war it changed to left-to-right.

(Of course, many [most?] Japanese books still go vertically, with the
front of a book at the back--from an English perspective.) The Japanese
don't have a real hangup with left-to-right versus right-to-left. I've
noticed that on buses and trucks, writing often goes from the front of
the vehicle to the back, so that on the left of the vehicle it is
L-to-R, and on the right of the vehicle it is R-to-L.

On my most recent trip to Japan, I noticed that signs for bathrooms were
invariably written "Toilet" (Romanized), rather than in katakana (and
rather than using O-te-arai [in kanji and hiragana], like they did 34
years ago when I first went to Japan.

I doubt that if Japanese will ever completely abandon kanji, hiragana,
and katakana, but the language definitely uses more romanized words
today than it did 34 years ago ...

Weldon Whipple