Kaixo!

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 02:11:39PM -0700, Weldon Whipple wrote:

> Prior to World War II, Japanese horizontal writing went from right to
> left. After the war it changed to left-to-right.

Yes, however at that time horizontal text was very marginal, so the
change wasn't that hard after all; it is like changing the direction of
latin script vertical text (yes, that exists too, in shops devantures and
the like, not very used thought; the same as horizontal japanese at
that time).

> don't have a real hangup with left-to-right versus right-to-left. I've
> noticed that on buses and trucks, writing often goes from the front of
> the vehicle to the back, so that on the left of the vehicle it is
> L-to-R, and on the right of the vehicle it is R-to-L.

Yes.

Note that when going RTL it is always one line only, and it is considered
in fact as vertical writting, where each vertical line is only one char long.

> On my most recent trip to Japan, I noticed that signs for bathrooms were
> invariably written "Toilet" (Romanized), rather than in katakana (and
> rather than using O-te-arai [in kanji and hiragana], like they did 34
> years ago when I first went to Japan.
>
> I doubt that if Japanese will ever completely abandon kanji, hiragana,
> and katakana, but the language definitely uses more romanized words
> today than it did 34 years ago ...

Having "toilet" written in latin letters in the doors of the toilets of
some palces doesn't mean that "the language uses more romanized words".

I haven't seen any real japanese phrase with a romanized word in it.
Even people's name are written in kana (which sometimes makes it hard
to guess who they are writting about)
Roman letter acronyms are used however.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,