I have found for some reason that certain key combos won't work but the
same action will work with different keys, not to say this is ideal but
only to make sure that the question were asking is the correct one. I am
able to change layouts at will so that is why I mention it. I also use F1
in my modes no problem. Here is my mark scenario.

mode "markIt" {

    bindsym m exec i3-input -F 'mark %s' -l 1 -P 'Mark: '
    bindsym apostrophe exec i3-input -F '[con_mark="%s"] focus' -l 1 -P 'Go
to: '
    bindsym Return mode "default"
    bindsym Escape mode "default"
    bindsym F3 mode "default"
    bindsym $alt+apostrophe mode "default"

}
bindsym $alt+apostrophe mode "markIt"
bindsym F3 mode "markIt"

--

Gerald Klein DBA

contac...@geraldklein.com

www.geraldklein.com <http://geraldklein.com/>

geraldklein.wordpress.com

j...@zognet.com

708-599-0352

Arch Awesome, Ranger & Vim the coding triple threat.

Linux registered user #548580

Brought to you by the Amish Mafia