From: Richards.Bob [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 6:32 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: IBM VSAM Statistics are often Bogus

<Snipped>

Your paragraph:

 "Just because they are not written when something BAD happens is NOT a
reason to see them as invalid or useless.  Like anything else in this
business (or life, for that matter), you need to know what you are talking
about when you use statistics to justify a decision."

If these statistics were being inspected one-by-one, I might concede that
last half of the second sentence. In my experience though, decisions of this
sort are being made in an automated fashion without consideration for
"knowing what you are talking about". They are being made under *the
assumption that the statistics are accurate*, a point that has clearly been
demonstrated as wrong!

Urgent or critical? Without empirical evidence to the contrary, how can *you
assume* that it is neither/nor?

I raise your two cents and make it my $.04 cents. <grin>

Bob

_
and
may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of
the
attachments from your system.