On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 06:43:32PM -0300, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:
> >But the Workplace Shell was an interesting hack,
>
> Yes! I'd love to see an equivalent in Linux.

My recollection and understanding is (was?) that when most people ask
for IBM to open-source OS/2, it's the WPS that they want in order to
port just that to Linux.  If WPS gets ported to Linux, why would
anybody care that OS/2 is dead?  [1]

So a good question would be "does the WPS by itself have IP that IBM
would not be able to open-source?"

[1] I discovered that OS/2 was dead when one of my SCSI HDs failed
and a friend suggested "Forget SCSI, just get a big IDE disk to
replace all your SCSI disks."  Turns out that OS/2 can't be installed
on IDE disks > 4 GB.  And don't bother to tell me about alternate
drivers and hacks and whatever.  I wasted days on them.  They don't
work.  I bought a big SCSI disk for a ridiculous amount of money and
immediately committed myself to abandoning my once-beloved OS/2 system.
I've powered it up for a total of maybe 2 hours in the last 3 years.

Footnote to the footnote.  I just read a lot of the stuff on
ecomstation.com .  It's pretty funny... the whole thing is an argument
for why ECS is NOT a viable option in today's world.  And BTW, after
using NT4 and XP for years, I still miss OS/2 and hate Winblows.

/Leonard