From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Mark
Sent: Tuesday August 02 2005 08:13
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Reference for DCB coexistence with RMODE 31 programs?

I recently encountered a gotcha.    While doing something similar to
what you are doing, I dynamically changed the DCBEDCB field before open with
the appropriate DCBE address.  I thought that would do the trick for the
DCBE.

But as it turns out, the DCBE= parm on the DCB is pretty much required, even
if you use a dummy address.  The invocation of that parm will set a
couple of bits in the DCB that are required for processing.   Without
them, the system  seems to ignore your DCBE address, and allocate the
buffers BTL, and of course fail to free them after you close the file.
So if you intend to use a DCBE address in your DCB, the parm must be coded
in the DCB even if you  have to use a dummy address at assembly time.