Greetings,

We are poised to migrate to z/Architecture mode on
z/OS 1.4.  All of the software vendors have been
contacted and all of them state that we are on levels
of their products to function under z/Architecture
mode.  None of them have claimed that their products
exploit 64-bit virtual.

I am thinking about globally setting SMFPRMxx MEMLIMIT
to something very low, as a starting point; maybe 2GB
or 4GB.

The unknown variable is what actual software at
execution time will eploit 64-bit virtual under
z/Architecture mode.  Possibly, none.  We are on DB2
V6 (ok, stop laughing) and are migrating to DB2 V7
(ok, I said stop laughing).  From what I can see, DB2
V6 and DB2 V7 exploit 64-bit real, but not 64-bit
virtual as DB2 V8 does.  We run DFSORT 14.0.

So, a few of questions:

1)  Has anyone identified any z/OS 1.4 components, IBM
software or ISV software that will exploit 64-bit
virtual?  If so, can you share the details?

2)  Has anyone built a simple assembler program using
IARV64 to get 64-bit virtual storage, that we can run
on a test LPAR to check reality and see what TMON and
RMF see of the 64-bit virtual workload, if anything.
If so, can you share the program source?

3)  The official z/Architecture (64-bit) migration
checklist has a generic warning about the LRA
instruction and ABEND 0D3.  I have applied all of the
IBM maintenance for ABEND 0D3.  I have searched all
user assembler code and freeware, and the only
occurance of LRA is in ShowMVS, which Roland says is
not a problem.  Has anyone experienced any ABEND 0D3
in ISV code?  If so, can you share the details?

Cheers,

Michael

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs