> I am thinking about globally setting SMFPRMxx MEMLIMIT
> to something very low, as a starting point; maybe 2GB
> or 4GB.

Not a bad plan but (a) if you have any 64-bit exploiters, make sure your
paging configuration is up to the job and (b) you may have a few 64-bit
exploiters you were not planning for, e.g. the JVM requires some storage
above the bar when running on a 64-bit system. I don't recall how much
exactly, but if your memlimit is too low the JVM simply craps out and
won't run at all. Most embarrassing if you happen to be running any JAVA
work.

> 1)  Has anyone identified any z/OS 1.4 components, IBM
> software or ISV software that will exploit 64-bit
> virtual?  If so, can you share the details?

See above. I am not aware of any specific list of exploiters. The system
itself and related middleware can be exploiters. Prior to V8 DB2 doesn't
do any exploitation I am aware of, but other components may and a good
many ISV products do too. You should contact the vendors of your
products.

> 2)  Has anyone built a simple assembler program using
> IARV64 to get 64-bit virtual storage, that we can run
> on a test LPAR to check reality and see what TMON and
> RMF see of the 64-bit virtual workload, if anything.
> If so, can you share the program source?

What's to test? IARV64 is relatively simple and it works exactly like
the books say it does. The "workload" has nothing to do with it. The
system is trimodal. There is an unpredictable mix of code switching
between 24, 31 and 64 bit modes constantly according to the state
requirements of the running program. What would you expect TMON or RMF
to "see"?

> 3)  The official z/Architecture (64-bit) migration
> checklist has a generic warning about the LRA
> instruction and ABEND 0D3.  I have applied all of the
> IBM maintenance for ABEND 0D3.  I have searched all
> user assembler code and freeware, and the only
> occurance of LRA is in ShowMVS, which Roland says is
> not a problem.  Has anyone experienced any ABEND 0D3
> in ISV code?  If so, can you share the details?

Have I seen them? Sure. Everyone in the business probably has. 64-bit
real support has been around long enough now that most of those have
probably been flushed out, assuming you're reasonably current on product
maintenance. After all, 64-bit real showed up with OS/390 2.10 and z/OS
1.4 is now the oldest supported release.

CC