First of all I should say thank you to Gerhard Postpischil for providing some
helpful background as to what TSSO is all about.

Gerhard has sent me a private message expressing umbrage over my post and
accusing me of not reading his post - the usual symptom of someone who has
actually failed to read the post about which he/she is commenting!

In case there are others who haven't understood, I'd better spell it out.

The relative cost of NetView/NCCF and TSSO are not relevant. What is
relevant is function. I did *not* - repeat ***not*** - intend to imply that
NCCF - and early NetView - had automation capabilities comparable to those
TSSO appears to have had. That is what that "cost comparison" comment
implies - but Gerhard has not to be able to see.

In the days of NCCF - and I think NOSP before it - and the first release of
NetView, a semi-automation capability existed after the clist language was
introduced. I describe it as "semi-automation" in that the operator had to keep
an eye out for unsolicited messages betokening a problem. He/she then had to
enter the name of the clist and commands could be issued - with name
substitution from clist operands. If any delay was necessary, the operator
could be instructed for which solicited messages to look out and what new
clist commands to enter. Crude or what?

It would appear that during these dark days, TSSO offered a cleverer way
which included actually "trapping" messages and entering commands fashioned
by the information "trapped" - if I have understood the TSSO of the early '80s
correctly.

Turning to my post - *in full* - I used the crucial word "insist", the
significance of which escaped Gerhard. Clearly TSSO could be used
independently of this NCCF product with its hobbled automation capabilities
[1]. TSSO is described as allowing itself to be invoked from NCCF/NetView as
a "command processor", that is, TSSO has been extended to use one of the
APIs which characterised NCCF - and the "command facility" component of
NetView - as an "enabling" environment.

Thus TSSO could be used even where the installation's style was to "insist"
or "require" that *all* automation be performed from within NCCF or NetView.
The "short period" referred to the time from TSSO being available as an
NCCF "command processor" to the time when everything that TSSO could do
could also be done using NetView's native functions which - if my presentation
notes are to be believed - happened with NetView V1R2.

Actually, it's possible that period was not so "short". It could be something
like
1980 to 1987, my guessed dates for NCCF (V1R2?) offering "command
processors" to NetView V1R2.

I hope that clears up any confusion - or maybe just adds to it!

Chris Mason

[1] Fortunately I retain my presentations on the topic of NetView clists and I
see that a level of automation which I believe can be compared to that
possible with TSSO appears in NetView V1R2 with the introduction of
the "message automation table". Since this is not NetView V1R1, I have
to "copy" the "hobbled" adjective to NetView from NCCF.