Denis,

Just making my point for me.  Don't get me wrong... I think it is great
that MVS does such a wonderful job of things.. especially abends.  And DB2
for rolling things back.  But I know that there are developers on this
list who write some damn good code and use abends judiciously. The
assumption that programmers can't take care of business is just a fallacy.

It is almost windows mentality "just reboot to fix it".  DB2 has given the
programmer the ability to control when things are done.. are we advocating
that the programmers are just too stupid to take advantage of it?

Well, as for autocommit that you are referring.. it is more of an online
thing.. and yes.. application programmers are notoriously lazy (to which
they'll reply but Oracle does it for me.. why should I care.. and why
doesn't DB2 just read my mind?) when it comes to such things.

1) do work, if bad rollback to prior savepoint
2) commit
3) savepoint

Now granted in the promise land of all things java, programmers are
supposed to be programming logic and leaving plumbing up to those that
know how to do it (too many acronyms to list.. BPL comes to mind)  But
shouldn't the plumbing be taking advantage of everything offered...
instead of oops.. just abend for any condition and stop processing.   For
that matter.. lets just abend CICS or WebSphere .. go out for coffee (or
beverage of choice) and just leave everything in a down condition.  We can
get along without all these pesky computers... get back to stone age
living.

I thought this thread started out more as a batch issue.

Oh well..

I guess it comes down to the difference of good programming and poor
programming.

Cheers,
Rob Schramm