------------------------------------<snip>----------------------------------

Oh, drudge away!  (Or, even "dredge" if you prefer.)

I wouldn't mind changing my JCL to enable this.  A couple
possibilities:

o Support for symbol substitution in SYSIN data sets, so
 one might code:

   //STDPARM  DD  *,SYMBOLS=YES
       FOO=&FOO
       BAR=&BAR

 (wouldn't you like to be able to substitute JCL symbols
 in STDIN for COZBATCH?)
There are a number of RYO utilities that will take values from the PARM field to update SYSIN-type datasets. Even have one myself, if you'd like a copy.

o Or support in JCL to pass these in the second, third, ...
 arguments as in CALL (and without the 100-character limit):

 //STEP  EXEC  PGM=MYPROG,PARM=(LIST,XREF),
 //  ALTPARM=('alternate DDNAME list','FOO=&FOO','BAR=&BAR',...)
This one might be a bit harder. You'd have to update all your HLL compilers/libraries to allow for this possibility. If the 100-character limit were lifted for the standard PARM field, that might be a lot easier, especially within HLL compilers/libraries. Would you settle for a 255-character limit?

Rick