On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 08:51:54 -0500, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 19:01:54 -0500, Rick Fochtman wrote:
>>
>>There are a number of RYO utilities that will take values from the PARM
>>field to update SYSIN-type datasets. Even have one myself, if you'd like
>>a copy.
>>
>I see:
>
>        3.5.2 "z/OS V1R10 DFSMS Using Data Sets"
>     __________________________________________________________
>
>3.5.2 SYSIN Data Set
>
>   You enter data into the system input stream by preceding it with
>   a DD * or a DD DATA JCL statement. This is called a SYSIN data
>   set. The DD name is not necessarily SYSIN.
>
>Do you mean it's possible to reach in somehow and modify the data
>following DD * or DD DATA?
>
>There are a number of such utilities around, as you say.  Their
>prevalence is testament to the need for a more regular solution.
>The drawbacks are:
>
>o Restriction by the 100-character PARM limit.
>
>o If several lines must be modified, it likely takes several job
>  steps with their outputs concatenated.  In any case this is
>  cumbersome; in some cases it may encounter the JCL limit on the
>  number of steps in a job.
>
>o I'd not be comfortable distributing this sort of complexity to
>  a customer.
>
>It would be far more elegant to simply be able to use symbols directly
>in SYSIN data sets.
>
>For personal use, I keep any JCL that needs such systematic modification
>as a here-document in a shell script which edits it and submits it,
>either to an internal reader or via FTP.  Again, something I'd not
>like to burden a naive customer with.
>
>And ISPF file tailoring would likely be an alternative.  But having
>an alternative, I remain naive to the ISPF technique.
>
>-- gil

This CLIST may be of some use:

***Start Paste***

PROC 0 PRMDBG(DEBUG)

/* CHECK FOR DEBUG MODE                                              */

    IF &PRMDBG = DEBUG THEN CONTROL CONLIST LIST MSG NOFLUSH
SYMLIST

/*   TMPJCL    - JES3 CNTL CARD                                      */

    SET TMPJCL = &STR(//*)
    SET INPUT1 = &STR(FIRST LINE OF DATA)
    SET INPUT2 = &STR(SECOND LINE OF DATA)

/* SUBMIT JOB                                                        */

    SUBMIT * END($$)
//&SYSUID JOB (001SASR6,R3DPW),'WALDMAN',MSGCLASS=1,
//  MSGLEVEL=(1,1)
&TMPJCL.MAIN CLASS=OPER,LINES=(9999,W)
//JOBSTEP  EXEC PGM=IEBGENER
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*