I stopped suggesting that people build their own PC's, because they
invariably ask me for help.  One thing for me, though, is that I stopped
using desktops around 2002, when I went to college.  You can't really build
a laptop (it'd be more of a loltop) and I've become super evangelical with
regards to Apple's laptops.

Nothing else gives better value and quality for the $$.  There's OS X.  Plus
the maglock power cable = no more busted motherboard after tripping over the
cable.  And the battery now has a (roughly) 5-year lifetime (dependent on
recharges).  And!  It's got gizmos that detect if the laptop is off balance
and locks your HD in place (and has for 6 years now).  This is cool because
you can turn your MacBook into a light saber and the embarrassment will
cause troublesome girlfriends to leave the room.  Also, Steve Jobs' reality
distortion field causes you to furiously hit your browser's refresh button
for two hours at work, 2-3 times a year, during the keynote speeches where
they show you what you can't afford.  Truly gratifying.

Scott #2