On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 10:26:38 -0700 (PDT), Eric Chomko
<pne.cho...@comcast.net> wrote:

>For space applications, sure. A satellite that orbits in 101 minutes
>had better use UTC, but why humans on Earth in the same place? You
>think UTC tells you anything about where the Earth's terminator is?
>When the Earth is facing totally opposite the Sun on any given day.
>No, local time is a must for determining exactly when the sun will
>rise where you are!
>
>Heck well can live with two measuring systems, we can live with two
>times.

My computer doesn't care where the sun is.   If it needs to support
people 24 hours per day, maybe anywhere in the world, what does the
sun have to do with it?

But if it is important to know when data are modified, having over 24
time zones has no advantage.    Mark it with a common, universal time.
The display routine can change it to local time just fine for users,
even when the users are on the opposite sides of the Earth.